Dec 12, 2007


This is a good opportunity to tackle something I’ve been wanting to ever since I found out I was becoming a father…religion. Before it was easy, Laura and I had differing views of God and what I would refer to as the notion of a god. The discussions were usually civil in nature and usually reverted to me grilling her over what she believed and why. Now with a child it’s going to get difficult for me. I go to church with Laura (not religiously…pun intended) but usually it’s to hear the music and to support Laura, it’s definitely not so that I can read what I see on the big screen behind the pastor along with everyone else. We drop Parker off at the childcare place that the church provides and she has a jolly old time playing with all the toys they have to offer. At first she didn’t like the idea of being left there but now it seems she’s developing her own now of herself as being a capable individual. I don’t mind going, I do support their efforts to better our world by helping people in need, supporting eco-friendly actions, not begging or essentially scaring me into giving them money, also they’re not so damning towards people who aren’t like them. I appreciate Christians who possess the idea that people who don’t share their beliefs aren’t necessarily heretics; I refer to that as the “Gospel of Inclusion”.

When Parker was baptized I supported it because of it being a social ritual in this society. I don’t believe that baptism has any spiritual nature to it. It’s a rite that’s performed for people who are or aren’t believers in our society. It seems that everybody wants their children baptized whether or not they’re devoted Christians, or just Christians in name only, kind of an odd mindset if you ask me.

The crux of my concerns regarding religion is the delicate balance of honoring Laura’s beliefs upon PJ while at the same time instilling a need for her to find her own way and to question what she’s being told to believe. We as parents are such a huge influence on our children, which I think a lot of parents take for granted.

What I do believe is this…belief in a religion is not to be taken lightly.

No comments: