Dec 18, 2007

Makin' Music

Creating. Creating. Creating. That’s what I enjoy about music. Just about everyone has that creative ability in some form to make music, no matter how simple or complex yet… not everyone employs it. But when it is employed, the variety is endless. It’s 2007, one would come to the conclusion that all the melodies have been written and we’re now just rewriting them with a few small changes. I don’t know if that’s true, but I agree with the idea that melodies are not endless. They can’t be, can they? Hmmmmmm.

This music project has got me thinking about why I continuously do these music projects. The simple answer is that it’s the form of creative output that is the most enjoyable while being enjoyable at the same time. Writing to me is interesting as well but music is much more fulfilling in so many ways, from writing poignant, witty lyrics to developing a melody, to putting instrumentation to it. It covers a lot more ground than writing…in my opinion.

What I like most about this project is creating the idea, the music, and the lyrics. Recording it can be a pain in the neck but once the framework is laid down, it does provide the opportunity to “layer” different rhythms and instrumentation to the song which gives it some character and therefore develops it’s own sound and personality. It’s amazing how a little mandolin or delayed guitar part can create an atmosphere to a song that most people may not even notice, however, they just might appreciate on a different level than intended, or, they may hate because it’s too busy. To each is own.
What I’ve noticed is the importance and power of simplicity in music. These children’s songs put together in a simple manner and accompanied with a simple, straight-forward melody so they seem to be very “easy on the ear”. I’m learning about simplicity and its importance in music. I hope I can employ it more often in everything I do.

No comments: