Jan 20, 2009

Night of the Living Dead

I think I’ve been hypnotized. Every night after I fall asleep I propel myself into this metamorphosis of sorts and I can’t shake it. All it takes is for me to be fast asleep and to hear some peep or sound or something remotely sounding like one of the girls is in peril and I immediately shoot up out of bed and meander my way in a deep haze over to their rooms to see what the problem is. I’ve never done this before until I was given a life sentence of parenthood in the first degree. Prior to having children there was very little that could get me out of bed in the middle of the night. Now, all the girls have to do is exhale loudly and my internal sonar sounds the alarm and elevates me to DEFCON 4. It’s incredibly annoying. Is it just another one of those collateral damage items of parenthood? What gives?

There’s a couple aspects to this reaction that bothers me though. When I suddenly rise up and make my way to PJ’s room only to realize that the two children are sound asleep, it’s a very dispiriting realization. What woke me up? Can’t I employ some sort of filter to determine the severity of the situation? Can I do something to deter this reaction? Ambien perhaps? I doubt it. If a noise occurs, I am up in .0005 seconds and addressing the noise in the next 3 seconds. There seems to be nothing I can do about it.


2 comments:

Laura said...

I love it! Before I can react, you do. I do seem to have that filter that waits to see how urgent it is before I completely rise from slumber. I do appreciate your taking over this job for me.

Unknown said...

You've never had this job. The only thing you wake up to do in the middle of the night is to urinate or to tell me to quit snoring. Usually at the same time!