May 30, 2008

Citizen (Nova) Kane


I had an interesting visit to the dentist yesterday. I was debating canceling the appointment due to me being so busy but I decided I’d go and get away from work for a brief time. It turns out that they had to do quite a bit of work on a tooth and it’s neighbor (filling and a new crown) which included Novocain and waiting for it to take effect, drilling, more drilling, and getting molds done for the new crown, etc… doesn’t sound like a very good time does it?

The dentist office has the luxury of having a flat screen television in front of each dentist’s chair which has endeared me to them for the brief time that we’ve been going there. In the past Soco (the nurse) has provided me with a fleece blanket if I have a morning appointment for my legs. She even tucks the blanket under your legs for you, much the same way Parker is tucked into her bed. This time however, I got a different nurse.

So as soon as I sit down the dentist comes in (he looks someone who was picked on a lot in high school) and tells me about all the fun things he’s going to be doing to me today and I’m sitting there thinking about how much I’d rather be at work. So after Baby Huey finishes his oral report (pun intended) I sit back and the nurse offers me up some television…”how about the “E” channel or VH1” she says. “Hmmmmm, how about Turner Classic Movies?” I say? “Well”, she said, “that’s an interesting request”. Why she said that I don’t know, it’s not like a requested Home Shopping Network or Free Speech TV or the like. Anyhow, she turns the channel and BANG! There it is…the opening credits to Citizen Kane. How lucky is that? I never get lucky like that. Here I am in the dentist chair with and hour and a half to kill in the dentist’s chair and the opening credits to Citizen Kane come up on the television screen. What can I say…it made my day. They even give you headphones to listen to it as opposed to listening to endless drilling of one’s own teeth.

So I get to watch and/or listen to the movie (I’ve always admired its dialogue), which made the appointment much less discomforting. Interestingly, Baby Huey walked in and said, ”oh, this is the movie Rosebud” isn’t it? I didn’t respond to it because I think he was talking to the dental hygienist (who is much older than me). Then she says, “I’ve never seen the movie but I’ve read the book”. Hmmmmmm, not sure how to respond to that one. There is no book, it’s an original screenplay written by a very good drunk Joseph Mankewicz and Orson Welles. I figured it was best to keep my mouth shut.

The movie to me is the greatest movie of all time, not solely because of the movie itself but the multi-faceted story behind the movie. It supports the notion that “reality is stranger (and much more interesting) than fiction”. The reasons for this are far too numerous and encompassing for me to even attempt to document on this blog. Some other time perhaps.
Anyhow, I hope Huey knows he made my day.

No comments: