May 22, 2008

Eulogy for a Guitar


Friends, Musicians, Countrymen, lend me your ears. I come to bury G&L, not to praise it!
Here lies "Fredo", my 1999 G&L ASAT Classic guitar. He's been dealt away for a new friend, a 1995 Epiphone Supernova and cash. Fredo was a good friend to the family; he never went out of tune, never received a scratch of any form, was always prepared for whatever chaotic riff it had to play, and he never complained about the fact that it wasn't a real Fender. After all he was a Telecaster body yet he wasn't a Fender. Though created by the founder of Fender guitars, he always found himself somewhat diminished in value due to the fact that the words "G&L" were on the headstock rather than the falsely prestigous "Fender Telecaster". Several times he was found to be shouting "I can handle metals riffs, I'm not like everyone says...only intended for country pickers...I'm multi-capable damnit...and I want respect! ...someone get me a banana dacquiri!!"

That was the last thing Fredo said to me...he was traded the next day.

Lest not be ignored the accolades of Fredo. In spite of his insubordinate attitude, he was a free-spirit and played like one. Many songs were recorded with Fredo, many simple guitar parts that provided a special sound to recordings that needed that something special. Let it be known, Fredo was a great rhythm machine - but more was needed, plus I already have a Japanese Strat that provided the same service and didn't complain about "needing respect" and all that.
I could tell problems were going to occur when Fredo and Supernova were left in the same room. Fredo, was is very territorial, started off by referring to Supernova as the "Dweebcaster". Supernova held her ground, referring to Fredo as "JapStrat's Sidekick" and sometime referring to Fredo as a "Bastardized Fender". It was obvious these two were not going to get along. Anything remotely related to Fender becomes unglued when put next to anything remotely related to a Gibson.
So, in passing, let us pay our respects to Fredo and wish him happy pickin'!!

No comments: