May 29, 2008

Happy Birthday





Today is dad’s birthday. If he were still alive he would be 72 years old. I’m trying to think of what I would buy him for his birthday if he were still alive. Whatever it is that I would get him I’m sure Parker would be a big part of it.

I’ve had this vivid memory of a moment in time when I was a young lad. I was probably nine of ten years old; we were visiting my grandmother and grandfather in San Jose. My dad and I went to the park to play some catch. While we were throwing the football back and forth to each other I recall this big dog coming right toward me running full speed and barking at me. He was probably forty or fifty yards away. I remember panicking and basically freezing up…just standing there while this big dog was coming at me like I was its next meal. All of a sudden my dad shows up out of nowhere and chases the dog away from me. It may not seem much but it’s one of those memories that has stuck with me all of my life. Perhaps the dog just wanted to play with me or wanted to chase the football or something innocent like that but as a young kid seeing a dog running full speed directly at you, it’s memorable on several levels.

Happy Birthday Dad.

No comments: