Mar 26, 2008

Last Night's Ice Cream Trip

Laura, Parker and myself went out for ice cream last night. It was $1 a scoop night at Baskin-Robbins. As I was sitting there I got to thinking about something that was basically the reason I started this blog in the first place. Odds are that I’m going to die before Laura, who knows it could happen at any time. What if I died tomorrow? How would that affect Laura and Parker? My next immediate thought was “well, at least she’ll have Parker so she won’t be totally alone” but I got to thinking while sitting at the table at the ice cream establishment…”who will be there for her to share the experience with?”

That notion kind of surprised me. It’s not as simple as that if I was gone, Parker was there for her. There’s a lot more to it, of course it’s not that simple. The idea of sharing moments with your significant other is as important as the moment itself. This has been kind of an epiphany for me in the past 12 hours (from last night to this morning). Sometimes it’s the simple things that fly right past you.

An old friend of mine named Brian had a girl (well, his wife Tara did actually) only a few days apart from Parker’s birth. Unfortunately he died last year unexpectedly. Sitting at that table eating ice cream reminded me of what Tara is going through everyday of her life. Something stronger than my regret that my dad isn’t here to enjoy Parker, a feeling and regret occurring everyday which yearns for the father of her daughter to experience their child’s development with her. That’s something Tara has to deal with for the rest of her life.

No comments: