Apr 1, 2008

Melody Cryogenics



I always had the same opinion of many musicians and non-musicians that all the great songs have already been created. Even that idjit Ian from Oasis said the same thing in an interview. What I think he meant and the general consensus means by that statement is that all the great melodies have been written, not necessarily songs, but melodies. Some have been rewritten and tweaked a bit so that they sound different. I would like to perform an experiment this weekend, I want to take the exact notes and possibly even the phrasing of McCartney's "Yesterday" and see if I can create a different melody out of it. Kind of a novel idea I think. I'm sure it's already been done by someone (ironically) but what the hell.

As I was driving to work this morning (I seem to have a lot of revelations on the way to work) I was listening to a song by The Helio Sequence, as the song progressed I played this mental game with myself in trying to predict where I thought the song was going to go. It broke form this droning chord to a bass riff that I honestly haven't heard before...yet it was simple! It's that experience which brings up the topic of this post.

Sounds like an interesting experiment...

More to come.

No comments: