Jul 22, 2008

Parenting...Both Feast and Famine

Spent some time last night and this morning questioning the path in life I’ve chosen. In doing this, I had a mini-epiphany regarding where (and what) I am. It’s not like I made a conscious decision 10 years ago that this was where I wanted to be. The choice kinda just evolved from bachelor…to boyfriend…to husband…to father of one…and now father of two. I was supposed to be in a cutting edge experimental rock band by now...what happened?

The reason this whole thought process started is because my evening consisted of me and Laura running around taking care of our children, cleaning up after them, tending to their needs, etc…. Perhaps it’s selfishness but a little relaxation time at home is very important to me, especially after a stressful day at work. I didn’t get much of that Monday night but I guess that’s how it goes sometimes when you drag two children into the world. The peaks and valleys of daily life as a parent is something we’re going to have to deal with. Hopefully the peaks will outweigh the valleys-so far it has. But the frustration that develops during those times when your wallowing “in the valley” really require some perseverance and patience on our part. Laura is better with that than I am. I think we’re getting better at recognizing when one of us is in one of those “valleys” and rising to the occasion to help out. I’m still learning about these things.

For example, this morning I get this email at work from Laura who’s at home…

I'm going f....'in crazy right now. Both girls are crying. Parker won't stop and keeps waking up Georgia.

Life’s a beach.

No comments: