Aug 30, 2011

Band Picture

I have a confession...when I was a teenager I was an idealistic, snobbish musician. I found three other like-minded individuals and we started a band. The music we created can be characterized as art-fag gothic prog-rock. A lot of time changes, improvisation, forboding undertones, all the stuff that produces a likeable dance beat that the ladies love. I think it's apt to label the type of music we played as "snob rock". The band's highlights included gigs at the Whiskey A-GoGo, Ventura Theater, Madame Wong's West, Nicholby's, UCSB, and a now-defunct record store on Main St. called "12 Inch Fun".

Jeff (the mulletized gentleman in glasses) worked at Montgomery Ward and was able to use his rock star influence in the photography department to get us a free band picture...woo hoo! So we strolled down to Montgomery Wards and had a family picture taken.

For me the 80's checklist was as follows:

Torn Levis(not pictured)...check
Obligatory Rush T-shirt...check
Mandatory flannel shirt on top of Rush T-shirt...check
My "I'm a rockin' drummer" sneer...check
Full head of hair...check



so the final product is...






...the happiest people ever!

4 comments:

Becky said...

omg - this picture is fantastic, just fantastic.

Jerry, K6JB said...

I was at that 12 Inch Fun show! Aspiring Skies--how's it going? Your band description was hilarious. Fairly accurate if even too self-deprecating. You were the only local band at that time (1986/87) that made an effort to be stylistically interesting--sound and look. More European influenced than American, which made you stand out a bit.

I digitized one of the Aspiring Skies demo cassettes, so if you need a digital copy or CD of it, let me know!

Best,
Jerry (original guitarist in The Mudheads)

Jerry, K6JB said...

Oh, wait. Maybe the band is "Ariel?" Now I'm second-guessing myself. If "Ariel," I remember seeing you play at Mogs (later Nicholby's) and at the end of that cul-de-sac in that Ventura corporate business park area not far from the Ivy Lawn Cemetery. Erik Lemaire, right? Oh, well. That was over 30 years ago. Hope all is well whoever I'm talking to!

Best,
Jerry

Unknown said...

replica bags canada replica bags high quality joy replica bags review