Oct 5, 2009

Storycorps

Any loyal NPR listener knows of storycorps. It began about six years ago in a storybooth in a terminal at NYC’s Grand Central Station. The main goal is to celebrate life through listening. The conversation/interview is usually between two people; a parent/child, husband/wife, or siblings. They usually talk about 3 minutes or so; it’s recorded, shared with the world, and stored at the Library of Congress.

After having numerous conversations with Parker I thought it would be funny if I could capture one of our recent conversations and record it for the project. The reason I find it funny is the context of the conversations on the show is usually some intense life experience shared between two people, such as a husband/wife that have been married for eighty years and relive their first date, or an immigrant telling his grandson about his journey to America, or a couple of friends sharing stories about crazy Uncle Al. So I thought it would be funny (in theory) if some of my recent conversations with Parker were recorded against the Storycorps backdrop.

1) I was lounging on the couch enjoying the incredibly fair and balanced Fox News (know thy enemy) when Parker comes and sits next to me. The report is showing footage and talking about the “amazing” number of protesters at their Tea Parties.

PJ: Are they having a tea party?
Me: Well, sorta yes.
PJ: That’s soooo fun, I love tea parties. Can we go?
Me: No we cannot.
PJ: But why?
Me: Because they were held several weeks ago
PJ: Oh
Me: Plus, it’s not the same type of tea party that you like to have.
PJ: {watching tv} Why are they so mad?
Me: {Sigh} that’s a long story Parker
PJ: Look at all the signs they made! They look Coolio! Daddy, can we make a sign for our tea party?
Me: Sure Parker.

2) Laying in bed with Parker at her bedtime.

PJ: Daddy, I love my mommy.
Me: Really, can you tell me why?
PJ: Well, she is always looking out for me, she lets me make my own sandwich, she takes me to pre-school every morning.
Me: Yeah…any thing else?
PJ: She brings such sweet joy to me.
Me: (chuckling) She brings you sweet joy?
PJ: Yeah, she brings me such sweet joy.

3) My mom brought Parker to my most recent baseball game at Ventura College. I came out of the dugout and joined Parker in the bleachers while my team was up to bat. A guy on my team with somewhat long blonde hair (lays a little past his shoulders) came up to home plate for his turn at bat.

PJ: Daddy, that’s a girl and girls don’t play baseball!
Me: Sure, they do. But that’s a boy Parker.
PJ: No it’s not – that’s a girl and girls don’t play baseball!
Me: There was a girl on my little league team that played baseball, although most girls play softball which is a lot like baseball.
PJ: Softball?
Me: Yes, softball.
PJ: Then why doesn’t that girl play softball?
Me: That’s a boy Parker. He just has long hair.
PJ: Oh.

1 comment:

Becky said...

"know thy enemy" -- love it.