May 26, 2009

We’re two for two!




We have managed to produce two children that reach the age of one year and simply will not allow other family members to hold them at family functions. It’s got to be either Laura or myself holding Georgia at family gatherings although she doesn’t mind playing around on the floor either. But if you are a member of Laura’s family and you pick up Georgia, be prepared…she will explode with emotions and none of them are palatable to either the ear (very, very loud screams that escalate with each breath she takes) or the eyes (an image of a pretty little blue-eyed girl who's turned red with fear and is screaming incessantly).

Last night’s Memorial Day gathering of Laura’s family was a prime example of Georgia’s fear of large doses of her extended family. I’ve never had her cling to me the way she did last night. Whenever someone would walk up to me while I was holding her she would instinctively avoid eye contact with the oncoming agitator and hold on to me for dear life. I kinda enjoyed it…its nice being her “home base”. Usually it’s Laura who’s the person she trusts and relies on for comfort and security but I got a little taste of it last night.

The funny thing is that I can vividly recall Parker acting like that as well when she was around a year old. I don’t recall any other children in Laura’s family having the same aversion to people holding them but hey, we’re two for two!!

Part of it is the magnitude of it all. Laura’s family gatherings consist of around 20 people which makes it pretty chaotic so it’s understandable how a little girl is scared. I don’t think any of her cousins were as defiant about being held by anyone other than their parents as she is.

The good news is Parker used to be like that and now she’ll jump into anyone’s arms for a hug or a kiss or even a cuddle.

Now here's a picture of Georgia gladly being held by her cousin Isaac at Easter. It was a different atmosphere than last night, it was at our house and less chaotic.

No comments: