Apr 30, 2013

Black Panthers



 A couple of days ago Parker was given her first major school assignment, a report on an animal, her choice was the black panther. The report requires some research on the animal (habitat, characteristics, etc…). So in preparation I was talking to PJ about how to get some information on the black panther, including books and the internet. Another idea I had was to use Grandma Powers’ Encyclopedia Britannica, something that hasn’t been utilized since the rise of the internet. So last night Parker called up Grandma to tell her about her report and ask to borrow her encyclopedia.

PJ: Hi Grandma, I have a report to do in class and I’d like to use your encyclopedia.
Grandma: Of course. What is your report on?
PJ: Black Panthers
Grandma: Oh my goodness, they’re already having you do reports like that? But, you’re only in first grade.
PJ: Yes, it was my choice.
Grandma: Wow, I’m so surprised that you’re doing reports like this in first grade Parker. Well, let’s see they started in the early sixties as a radical Black extremist group…
Laura (interrupts): No Diane, Parker’s report is on the animal the black panther, not the black militant group from the 60’s.
Grandma: Ohhhhh!! I see.
(everyone laughs)


I'm afraid of having to explain how the term "Black Panther Party" doesn't having anything to do with balloons, streamers, music , cake, refreshments, etc...

In second grade maybe Parker can tackle the Weather Underground’s influence in the 1960’s. 


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

That is hilarious.

Nate D.