Apr 21, 2009

Birth of a Notion


It’s 7 am and I’m getting ready to leave for work this morning. I’m sitting at the breakfast table while Laura’s feeding Georgia some yogurt in her high chair and PJ is sitting next to me eating her fourth piece of cantaloupe. It’s already a hot morning and it’s only going to get hotter. Part of me wants to stay home and help her and part of me wants to go to work in my air conditioned office all day and not have to deal with the perils of parenthood on a sultry hot day with no air conditioning.

It was then I caught myself while watching this little moment in time…what a happy trio those three make. Laura’s a fun-loving, fearless, and caring mother and Parker is following her mother’s lead quite uniquely. I guess it’s a perfect storm of nature and nurture.

I started thinking about these two little girls and wondering how much alike are they going to be. Georgia’s already taking on the same characteristics the PJ had when she was 9 months old:

-She has the same “grumble” when she eats; it’s sort of a combination of delightful moaning and grunting
-She loves to follow her mom around the house by crawling behind her while partly crying/partly pleading for attention
-The moment Laura picks her up she immediately imposes all of her brute force to be released from her mother’s clutches while Laura is frustratingly trying to keep a secure grasp of her for her own safety
-When Georgia catches sight of Laura walking into the room she starts this little anticipatory rhythmic grunt that crescendos with every step Laura takes towards her. It’s fun to watch.
-They both love Parker’s blanket. I don’t know what sort of spiritual magnetic force that thing beholds but it definitely has some power over both of those girls.

No comments: